How to get your Alien regristration ID

Alien regristration ID
One of the first and most important things to do when you arrive in Japan is to head to your nearest ward office and city hall and register for your alien registration card.

This card is used for everything from applying for a bank account, getting your cell phone or getting your first apartment. It will be your chief piece of identification in Japan.

Foreigners staying in Japan for more than 90 days are required to register within 90 days of landing.The applicant must provide a completed application form, passport and two identification photos at the city or ward office. Foreigners must take an official piece of ID with them at all times which shows their official status of residence in Japan so only a passport or this card will suffice.

Another necessary piece of identification is a drivers license.
Obtaining a driver’s license is fairly painless as long as you fulfill a few conditions i.e have valid driver’s license from your home country and also reside in the said country for at least 3 months.If you fulfill this walk with your passport,alien registration card, a japanese translation of the license and a photograph to the Driver’s License Center. The procedure for converting your license is to translate it,register,take the aptitude test,take the written knowledge test and take the skill set.

But if you are from one of the exempt countries (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden) there is no need to take the aptitude and skill test.

If you do not possess a driver’s license at the time you would have to attend a driver’s school and pass the driving examination, a process which could cost well over ?300000.

Higherground Co.,Ltd.
2-8-3 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan